David S. Levi, MD
Dr. David Levi received his undergraduate degree from Tulane University in New Orleans. He earned his Doctorate of Medicine from Eastern Virginia Medical School. He completed his residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Carolinas Rehabilitation in Charlotte, North Carolina where he served as Chief Resident. Following residency, he completed his fellowship in spine and musculoskeletal medicine in New Orleans at LSU.
Dr. Levi is board certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. He is an active member of several organizations including the American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Spine Intervention Society, North American Spine Society, and the American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine. He has lectured extensively on back and neck disorders as well as spine injection procedures.
Dr. Levi is an active researcher and published author in the fields of fluoroscopically guided spinal injections, ultrasound guided peripheral joint injections, and novel techniques in regenerative medicine. He serves as an editorial reviewer for The Spine Journal, Pain Medicine, and PM&R journals. Dr. Levi is honored to serve as chairman of the Spine Intervention Society’s Research Division as well as a SIS bio-skills lab instructor. In addition, he serves as an instructor and lecturer for the North American Spine Society injection courses.
Other areas of clinical interest and expertise include the use of neuro-musculoskeletal ultrasound. He is skilled in the use of ultrasound to diagnose upper and lower extremity disorders as well as in the performance of ultrasound guided injections. Dr. Levi earned facility accreditation for musculoskeletal ultrasound from the American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine. Dr. Levi has been awarded the honor of “Top Docs” in Hampton Roads, Virginia.
Undergraduate: Tulane University; New Orleans, LA
Medical Degree: Eastern Virginia Medical School; Norfolk, VA
Residency, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation: Carolinas Rehabilitation; Charlotte, NC
Fellowship, Spine and Musculoskeletal Medicine: Louisiana State University; New Orleans, LA
Areas of Specialization
- Non-surgical x-ray guided spinal procedures
- Non-surgical sports and joint treatments
- Image-guided spine, joint, and tendon injections
- Regenerative medicine procedures
- Diagnostic spinal procedures
- Diagnostic ultrasound for joints and tendons
- Clinical research for spinal conditions
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Spine Injection Instructor, North American Spine Society and Spine Intervention Society
- Chairman, Research Division, Spine Intervention Society
- Board of Directors Spine Intervention Society
- Editorial Reviewer for The Spine Journal, Pain Medicine, and PM&R Journals
- Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center
- Virginia Beach General Hospital
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Spine Intervention Society
- North American Spine Society
- American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine
Awards & Honors
- Top Doc, as voted on by peers, Coastal Virginia/Hampton Roads Magazine 2013, 2016 – 2019
Family & Interests
Dr. Levi lives in Virginia Beach with his wife and family. He enjoys spending time with his family, saltwater fishing, kayaking, running, and tennis.
- Levi D, Horn S. The Utility of Determining the True Fluoroscopic Contralateral Oblique Angle Measurement during Cervical Interlaminar Epidural Steroid Injections for Use in Repeat Injections. PM&R 2018;11(5):566-568.
- Levi D. Subdural Extra-arachnoid Flow Pattern Visualized in a Contralateral Oblique View During a Cervical Interlaminar Epidural Steroid Injection. Pain Med. 2017;18(6):1177-1182.
- Levi D, Horn S, Carnahan D, Levin J. Is severe episodic low back pain a sign of discogenic etiology? Accepted for publication Pain Medicine 2017.
- Levi D. Disruption of a lumbar zygapophyseal joint synovial cyst with intrathecal flow. (poster presentation at Spine Intervention Society annual meeting 2017)
- Levi D, Horn S. The Utility of Determining the True Fluoroscopic Contralateral Oblique Angle Measurement during Cervical Interlaminar Epidural Steroid Injections for Use in Repeat Injections. (in submission for publication)
- Levi D, Horn S, Tyszko S, Levin J, Hecht-Leavitt C, Walko E. Intradiscal platelet rich plasma injection for chronic discogenic low back pain: a prospective study. Pain Medicine 2016;17(6):1010-22.
- Levi D, Horn S, Corcoran S. The incidence of intradiscal, intrathecal and intravascular flow during the performance of retrodiscal (infraneural) approach for lumbar transforaminal epidural steroid injections. Pain Medicine 2016;17(8):1416-22.
- Levi D S, Horn S, Collado A. Reliability and accuracy of MRI laminar angle measurements to determine intra-procedural contralateral oblique view angle for cervical or thoracic interlaminar epidural steroid injections. Pain Medicine 2016;17(9):1628-33.
- Levi D. Diagnostic and therapeutic injection of a symptomatic pseudoarticulation between an anomalous C2 lamina and the C3 articular pillar. (poster presentation at Spine Intervention Society annual meeting 2016)
- Levi D, Levin J. Novel technique may be a step backward in safety. (Letter to ed) Spine 2016:41(6):E379.
- Levi DS, Horn S, Walko E. Intradiscal Methylene blue treatment for discogenic low back pain. PM&R 2014;6(11):1030-1037.
- Levi, DS, Horn, S. Intradiscal biostatR (fibrin) for chronic low back pain. Site principle investigator for multisite phase III randomized placebo controlled trial for discogenic low back pain. Spinal Restoration Austin, TX. 2013
- Levi D. Intra-articular hip injections utilizing ultrasound guidance: accuracy using a linear array transducer PM&R 2013;5:129-34
- Levi D. Intradiscal flow during a transforaminal epidural steroid injection. Pain Medicine 2010;11:1716-18.
- Levi D. The effect of patient sense of control on the perception of pain and anxiety during EMG/NCS. LSU School of Medicine, 2003.
- Kirsteins A, Levi D. Percutaneous intramuscular neuromuscular electrical stimulation for the treatment of shoulder pain in chronic hemiplegic stroke patients with shoulder subluxation: Preliminary findings, 2001 (Accepted for poster presentation at AAPM&R annual meeting, 2001).
- Interventional and Regenerative Treatments for Young Athletes CHKD Sports Medicine Conference 2019
- Regenerative Treatments for Discogenic Low Back Pain Spine Intervention Society Winter seminar 2019
- Injection Therapies for non-radicular, Non-sacroiliac Joint Buttocks Pain Spine Intervention Society Winter seminar 2019
- Lumbar Zygapophyseal Joint Imaging Spine Intervention Society Winter seminar 2019
- Avoiding Complications and Appropriate Management for Spinal Injections Spine intervention Society Bio Skills Lab 2019
- Regenerative Medicine for Discogenic Low Back Pain: Hype or Hope? Evidence-Based Medicine Seminar, Spine Intervention Society 2018
- Transforaminal Epidural Steroid injections and Selective Nerve Root Block. Spine Injection Course, North American Spine Society 2018
- Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) for the Treatment of Musculoskeletal Conditions: Hope or Hype? : Grand rounds Sentara Healthcare. Sentara VBGH Decenber 2016
- Platelet rich plasma injection for chronic discogenic low back pain: Spine Intervention Society 2016 annual scientific meeting. New Orleans, LA.
- Intradiscal platelet rich plasma injection for chronic discogenic low back pain: a prospective study. Spine Intervention Society 2015 annual scientific meeting. Las Vegas, NV
- The Incidence of Intradiscal, Intrathecal and Intravascular Flow During the Performance of Retrodiscal (Infraneural) Approach for Lumbar Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injections. Spine Intervention Society 2015 annual scientific meeting. Las Vegas, NV
- Ultrasound Guidance for Spinal Injections, Spine Intervention Society 2015 annual scientific meeting. Las Vegas, NV
- Epidural Steroid injections, Lecturer and lab instructor for North American Spine Society 2009-2015 spine injection courses
- Cervical Injury in Motor Vehicle Collision, Bayside Hospital Grand Rounds 2007
- Update on Low Back Pain, Virginia Beach General Hospital Grand Rounds 2006
- Spine Clinical Case Presentation to Physiatry Residents, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA 2005
- Treatment Modalities for Low Back Pain, Virginia Beach General Hospital Primary Care Grand Rounds 2005
- Spinal Injections, American Academy of Physician Assistants annual meeting,
New Orleans, LA 2003
- Neuromuscular Stimulation and Shoulder Pain in the Subluxed Shoulder in Hemiplegia, Charlotte Institute of Rehabilitation Grand Rounds, March 2001
- The Effect of Exercise on Immune Function, Charlotte Institute of Rehabilitation Grand Rounds 2000